Standing at nearly 7ft tall, Finnish basketball player Joonas Suotamo is perhaps best known to fans around the world for his work as Chewbacca in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and coming soon, Solo: A Star Wars Story.
Suotamo attended Pennsylvania State University (PSU) and played the power forward and center positions for the Penn State Nittany Lions. With childhood interests in music, arts, and movies he studied film and video at PSU.
As a youth, Suotamo performed roles as a stage actor. He was a strong academic performer at Penn State, where he was twice named to the Academic All-Big Ten team, and graduated in 3.5 years with a Bachelor of Arts degree in December 2008 in order to fulfill his Finnish conscription service and to pursue a career in film. He played professionally in Europe for the Espoo team from 2011-2015. In 2015, he was cast as a body double for Chewbacca, originally played by Peter Mayhew, in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And took over the role for Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Convention Guest Appearances
- Wales Comic Con 2018 - December 1-2, 2018 in Wrexham, UK
Rose City Comic Con 2018 - September 7-9, 2018 in Portland, ORCancelled Appearance
- Denver Comic Con 2018 - June 15-17, 2018 in Denver, CO
- MegaCon Orlando 2018 - May 24-27, 2018 in Orlando, FL
- Wizard World Comic Con Philadelphia 2018 - May 17-20, 2018 in Philadelphia, PA
- Heroes Comic Con Copenhagen 2018 - May 5-6, 2018 in Copenhagen, Denmark
- Fan Expo Dallas 2018 - April 6-8, 2018 in Dallas, TX
- Toronto Comicon 2018 - March 16-18, 2018 in Toronto, ON, Canada