Writer Chris Claremont has encountered more success than most writers ever dream of. His stories have achieved best-seller status, won numerous awards, and are trend-setters for the industry. Although best known for his work on Marvel Comic's X-Men series, he has written other seminal characters such as Batman and Superman; originated several creator-owned series; is published throughout the world in many different languages; authored nine novels. His papers are in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Columbia University, in New York. His work has touched millions.
His initial unbroken 17 year run on Marvel Comics The Uncanny X-Men is the stuff of industry legend. During that tenure he took a lackluster title and transformed it into the dominant, best-selling title in the industry. His run culminated with the launch of the new title, X-Men, whose first issue sold over 7.6 million copies. No one has yet come close to breaking this record. It is a conservative estimate that Chris has sold in excess of 500,000,000 comics, world wide.
Chris's work on the X-Men has brought resounding creative success as well as outstanding sales. The story arc "Dark Phoenix," with its radical treatment of the story's central character, paved the way for the reinterpretation of superhero mythos throughout the comics industry. That story still resonates throughout the X-men canon.
Chris is well known for his progressive treatment of women in a genre that oftentimes relies on stereotype. Active, intelligent, courageous women characters such as Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Mystique, Rogue, and Storm have made Chris's X-Men as popular with women readers as men.
The Summer of 2000 saw the release of the feature film, X-Men, based largely on material created by Chris. The sequel, X-2, contains characters and key story elements from Chris's best-selling graphic novel, God Loves, Man Kills. X-Men: The Last Stand, released in May 2006, is grounded in the Dark Phoenix saga. X-Men: First Class used Chris's origin of Magneto, and included many of Chris's character creations, such as Sebastian Shaw, Emma Frost (The White Queen), Moira MacTaggart, and Mystique. The forthcoming second Wolverine movie is based largely on the graphic novel, Wolverine, by Chris and Frank Miller.
Chris is especially proud of his creator-owed work, which includes Sovereign 7, a unique, otherworldly young adult comic series whose three-year run was published by DC Cmics; and the historic fantasies The Black Dragon and Marada, the She-Wolf (artist: John Bolton) and Wanderers: The Winter King (artist: Phillip Briones). Chris's prose novels include the science fiction High Frontier Series (First Flight, Grounded!, Sundowner), the fantasy series Shadow Moon, Shadow Dawn, Shadow Star and the dark fantasy Dragon Moon.
Chris has just completed work on a dark fantasy prose novel, Wild Blood, and is beginning work on Silk Road, a thriller set on that fabled route.
Convention Guest Appearances
- Memphis Comic Expo 2019 - October 19-20, 2019 in Memphis, TN
- New Mexico Comic Expo 2019 - August 16-18, 2019 in Albuquerque, NM
- TerrifiCon 2019 - August 9-11, 2019 in Uncasville, CT
Fanboy Expo Knoxville Comic Con 2019 - July 12-14, 2019 in Knoxville, TNCancelled Appearance
- Comic Con Ireland 2019 - June 22-23, 2019 in Dublin, Ireland
- Washington State Summer Con 2019 - June 15-16, 2019 in Puyallup, WA
- Comicpalooza 2019 - May 10-12, 2019 in Houston, TX
- Planet Comicon Kansas City 2019 - March 29-31, 2019 in Kansas City, MO
- Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo 2019 - March 22-24, 2019 in Chicago, IL
- Monaco Anime Game International Conferences 2019 - March 9, 2019 in Monaco
- Comic Con Revolution West Palm Beach 2019 - March 2-3, 2019 in West Palm Beach, FL 2018
- MCM Comic Con London 2018 - October 26-28, 2018 in London, UK
- Memphis Comic Expo 2018 - October 20-21, 2018 in Memphis, TN
- New York Comic Con 2018 - October 4-7, 2018 in New York, NY
- Keystone Comic Con 2018 - September 14-16, 2018 in Philadelphia, PA
- Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2018 - May 19-20, 2018 in Ontario, CA
- Sac Comic-Con 2018 - April 15, 2018 in Sacramento, CA
- Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo 2018 - April 6-8, 2018 in Chicago, IL
- Emerald City Comicon 2018 - March 1-4, 2018 in Seattle, WA 2017
- New York Comic Con 2017 - October 5-8, 2017 in New York, NY
- Nittany Con 2017 - September 23-24, 2017 in State College, PA
- Amazing Hawaii Comic Con 2017 - August 25-27, 2017 in Honolulu, HI
- St. Louis Comic Con 2017 - June 17-18, 2017 in St. Charles, MO
- Tidewater Comicon 2017 - May 13-14, 2017 in Virginia Beach, VA
- Planet Comicon Kansas City 2017 - April 28-30, 2017 in Kansas City, MO
- El Paso Comic Con 2017 - April 21-23, 2017 in El Paso, TX
- Super MegaFest Comic Con 2017 - April 7-9, 2017 in Marlborough, MA
Amazing Arizona Comic Con 2017 - February 17-19, 2017 in Phoenix, AZConvention Cancelled 2016
- New York Comic Con 2016 - October 6-9, 2016 in New York, NY
- Amazing Houston Comic Con 2016 - September 9-11, 2016 in Houston, TX
- Amazing Hawaii Comic Con 2016 - May 20-22, 2016 in Honolulu, HI
- Indiana Comic Con 2016 - April 29 - May 1, 2016 in Indianapolis, IN 2015
- Rhode Island Comic Con 2015 - November 6-8, 2015 in Providence, RI 2014
- Wizard World New Orleans Comic Con 2014 - February 7-9, 2014 in New Orleans, LA 2013
- Montreal Comiccon 2013 - September 13-15, 2013 in Montréal, QC, Canada
- Comicpalooza 2013 - May 24-26, 2013 in Houston, TX
- MegaCon 2013 - March 15-17, 2013 in Orlando, FL
- Wizard World Portland Comic Con 2013 - February 22-24, 2013 in Portland, OR 2004
- Supanova Pop Culture Expo - Brisbane 2004 - September 18-19, 2004 in Brisbane, Australia 1991
- Chicago Comicon 1991 - June 28-30, 1991 in Elk Grove Village, IL 1988
- Creation Boston 1988 - January 16-17, 1988 in Boston, MA 1981
- Chicago Comicon 1981 - July 17-19, 1981 in Chicago, IL
40 confirmed guest appearances