British Columbia, Canada
Alex was born in Northern Alberta, and, according to his mother, has always enjoyed performing for others. He grew up loving the classics in acting, Bogart, Cagney, etc. Got involved with theatre while still in school, performing in a stage version of MASH. Took some time off to travel Europe and while lying on a beach in Greece, decided to go to Film School. Later, taught a class on 'Acting for Teens' at the Vancouver Film School.
A familiar face to sci-fi fans, Alex has appeared in numerous genre series, including seven guest spots on Stargate SG-1 (Spirits, 1969, Foothold, Beast of Burden, Metamorphosis, Enemy Mine, and Space Race), and the SCI FI Channel's movie, Babylon 5: Legend of The Rangers: To Live and Die in Starlight, portraying "Dulann", the lead Minbari warrior monk who serves as first officer of the starship Liandra. Alex has also made guest appearances as "Johanssen" in James Cameron's Dark Angel (Red, Rising), Andromeda (Music of a Distant Drum), The Immortal (Forest for the Trees), Welcome to Paradox (Blue Champagne), First Wave (The Purge), and the special 100th episode of The Outer Limits (Tribunal), as "SS Lieutenant Karl Rademacher". Zahara has also provided the voice of the lead character, bounty hunter "Nick Logan", in forty episodes of the animated series The Roswell Conspiracies, which aired on the Cartoon Network.
Zahara also has an extensive list of films to his credit. After making his debut in The Thirteenth Warrior with Antonio Banderas and Omar Shariff, he went on to earn a Leo Nomination (British Columbia TV/Film Awards) for his performance in the critically-acclaimed short, Evirati. Alex appeared as a gunfighter, opposite Oscar winners Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall and Annette Benning in the western Open Range.
Zahara's theatre resume is also impressive, including winning a Jesse Richardson Award in 1998 for his performance in the play Mojo. He was also nominated for best actor in 1999 for playing all five male characters in the apocalyptic sci-fi/fantasy play Marisol, as well as being nominated in 2000 for his portrayal of a writer looking for his soul in The Promised Land.
Alex has executive produced a mock rockumentary tv pilot about life on the road for a touring band, told from the Road manager's point of view, Bandwagon. Think, Almost Famous meets, Spinal Tap! Watch for Alex in an a special upcoming episode of Masters of Science Fiction, "The Discarded," starring Brian Dennehy and John Hurt, directed by Jonathan Frakes. A mass outbreak of mutations occurs on earth and the infected people are exiled into space stations and become know as "the discards." As well, keep an eye out for the Sci Fi Channel movie Ogre, about a village trapped in time, in which Alex has a supporting lead.
Convention Guest Appearances
- ThunderCon 2023 - September 9-10, 2023 in Thunder Bay, ON, Canada 2022
- Gatecon 2022 - September 1-5, 2022 in Vancouver, BC, Canada
- GrandeCon 2022 - July 15-17, 2022 in Grande Prairie, AB, Canada 2020
Gatecon 2020 - August 27-30, 2020 in Vancouver, BC, CanadaConvention Cancelled Gateway 2020 - June 26-28, 2020 in Rosemont, ILConvention Cancelled 2019
- Gateway 2019 - June 21-23, 2019 in Rosemont, IL 2018
- Gatecon 2018 - September 14-16, 2018 in Vancouver, BC, Canada 2017
- Kobe-Kon 2017 - July 7-9, 2017 in Everett, WA 2016
- Gatecon 2016 - September 8-12, 2016 in Vancouver, BC, Canada 2013
- Dragon Con 2013 - August 30 - September 2, 2013 in Atlanta, GA
- Florida Supercon 2013 - July 4-7, 2013 in Miami, FL 2010
- Anime Evolution 2010 - August 13-15, 2010 in Vancouver, BC, Canada 2009
- Anime Evolution 2009 - June 12-14, 2009 in Vancouver, BC, Canada 2008
- Anime Evolution 2008 - August 22-24, 2008 in Vancouver, BC, Canada
12 confirmed guest appearances